Released Gitmo detainee was on ground in Benghazi during terror attack

benghazi-libya-coverup-obama-white-house-hillary-clinton-chris-stevens

via Former Guantanamo detainee was on ground in Benghazi during terror attack, source says | Fox News.

A former Guantanamo Bay detainee with Al Qaeda ties was in Benghazi the night of the Sept. 11 attack, according to a source on the ground in Libya.

The source told Fox News that ex-detainee Sufian bin Qumu, who is suspected of running camps in eastern Libya where some of the assailants trained, is also a “respected member” of Ansar al-Sharia — one of the Islamist groups identified in State Department email traffic two hours after the attack.

Two sources familiar with the investigation, when asked about bin Qumu’s whereabouts the night of the attack, did not dispute the claim he was in Benghazi.

While it is not clear whether bin Qumu was directing the assault, his security file from Guantanamo may be revealing. Having already trained in Usama bin Laden’s camps, in 1998 bin Qumu joined the Taliban in Pakistan and “communicated with likely extremist elements via radio during this period indicating a position of leadership,” the file shows.

Fox News’ ongoing reporting on the attack has shown that at least four key Benghazi suspects have ties to the Al Qaeda senior leadership in Pakistan. They include bin Qumu and Muhammad Jamal, whose network is also suspected of training jihadists for the attack. Jamal was held, and later released by, Egyptian authorities. Earlier this month, the State Department’s terrorist designation for Jamal and his network cites letters he exchanged with Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, where Jamal asked for money and explained the scope of his training camps, which included Libya and the Sinai.

Fox News was first to report that two other suspects have ties to the Al Qaeda senior leadership — one believed to be a former courier and the other, a bodyguard for the network. Faraj al Chalabi, identified to Fox News as the bodyguard, was also in Afghanistan with bin Laden until the U.S. invasion in October 2001.

The hunt is still underway for suspects in the attack more than a year later, though some have questioned the administration’s resolve.

After Fox News reported earlier this week that the Benghazi suspects are not included on the State Department’s “Rewards for Justice” program, which offers cash for tips that lead to suspected terrorists, Republican Rep. Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry questioning the omission.

The letter is now being circulated on Capitol Hill for signatures, Fox News has learned, and should be delivered to Kerry’s office no later than next week.

A draft reviewed by Fox News includes highly critical language. “We fail to understand how such an important counterterrorism tool could not be used by the administration, when you and the president claim that bringing the assailants to justice is such a high priority,” the draft says.

Bin Qumu was transferred to Guantanamo on May 5, 2002, and released to Libya on Sept. 28, 2007, where he was initially held and later released. His Guantanamo review file, originally a classified document but made public by WikiLeaks, says he is a “former member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), a probable member of al Qaida and a member of the North African Extremist Network. Detainee is a medium to high risk and he is likely to pose a threat to the US and it’s interests and allies.”

A review of State Department cables, also made public by WikiLeaks, shows that former Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed in the 2012 attack, was interested in bin Qumu’s fate once he was transferred from the U.S. military detention facility to Libya. Stevens had one of his subordinates meet with bin Qumu at the Libyan jail.

Before he was promoted to U.S. ambassador to Libya in May 2012, Stevens served as CDA, or “Charge de Affairs,” at the embassy in Tripoli. In 2008 cables, Stevens noted that he and his team from the politics and economic section of the embassy were visiting prisons to ensure the welfare of repatriated Guantanamo detainees from Libya. This included bin Qumu, who is referred to as ISN 557 in the cables dated from September 2008.

One cable says: “During our previous meeting on June 10, the security official who facilitated the meeting explained that detention protocols for extremists and terrorists mandate that they be held in solitary detention to preclude the possibility that they could recruit other members of the prison population. End note.”

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton noted to Fox News that “as we returned Gitmo inmates to Libya to be imprisoned by Muammar Qaddafi, the U.S. government was tasked with officially inquiring about their welfare in Libyan prisons.”

Fox News’ Bret Baier was first to report last fall that the intelligence community believed the former detainee was involved in the Benghazi terrorist attack.

Representatives with the CIA and National Counterterrorism Center declined to comment for this report. The FBI did not respond.

donot-disturb-97750420267

12 Responses

  1. I am slightly annoyed that you give Fox News credibility. Did you get it out of their dumpster? Most of what they print is imagined, maybe the same goes for you also.

    Sent from my iPad

    >

  2. Therefore do not open the doors by amnesty to Guantanamo Muslims. They just return to their trade terrorism and killings.

  3. Likely he had obama guns, too. The ones that were NOT immediately stolen

  4. Dear MRC Supporter,

    It’s been one year since the attack in Benghazi, and still the liberal media have failed to hold the Obama administration accountable for unanswered questions:
    • Why did the State Department, led by Hillary Clinton, deceptively blame the attack on a YouTube video when documents show that within two hours of the strike, the administration knew it was a coordinated terrorist attack?
    • Why were commandos denied permission to go to Benghazi and help those under siege—even though no one knew how long the attacks would last?
    • Why was a Foreign Emergency Support Team (FEST) denied permission to go in to Benghazi because conditions were “too dangerous”?
    • Why was Secretary of State Clinton never interviewed by the Accountability Review Board despite her taking “full responsibility” for the attack?
    The “whys” surrounding the Benghazi attack and its aftermath just don’t add up. But you’ll never hear that from the liberal media because they are so invested in protecting Barack Obama, his leftist agenda, and their future presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

    Now is the time for Americans to stand together and expose the fraudulent media. They are trying to bury the Benghazi scandal in hopes that they will run out the clock and the American people will forget about the four murdered Americans.

    We owe it to the American people, and more importantly, we owe it to the victims of the terrorist attack to not let the liberal media get away with this unethical censorship. With your help, we can expose the liberal media’s censorship of the Benghazi investigation.

    In remembrance of the four Americans who died and in honor of their families, let’s work to bring the truth to light. Tell the media you want the truth about Benghazi.

    Thank you for taking a stand for the truth.

    Sincerely,

    L. Brent Bozell III
    Founder and President
    Media Research Center

Your comments & your IP address are your legal problem, not ours.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 37,876 other followers

%d bloggers like this: