Philippines sign “peace deal”, Muslims continue waging jihad

As we noted on the so-called “peace” deal that gives jihadists a more powerful, better-funded and larger Islamic region, there is no peace in Islam:

“We will continue the struggle. What we want is an Islamic state, an Islamic people, an Islamic constitution.”

Even if they die trying. via Philippine Security Forces Kill 40 Muslim Rebels – WSJ.com.

Roughly 40 rebels have been killed in recent days as a fresh round of fighting between Philippine security forces and Muslim separatists erupted in several towns in the neighboring southern provinces of Maguindanao and North Cotabato, the military said Thursday.

Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala, spokesman for the Armed Forces of the Philippines, told The Wall Street Journal that the police and military launched a joint offensive last Sunday on strongholds of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, or BIFF, to put a stop to the Muslim separatist group’s “terroristic attacks in the area.”

BIFF is a splinter group of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, or MILF, the largest Muslim rebel group with which the government has signed a peace deal to end the decades-long separatist conflict in the resource-rich southern Philippine island of Mindanao. The attack came a day after the government and the MILF signed in Malaysia the last of the four annexes to the peace agreement reached in 2012.

Lt. Col. Zagala said the BIFF has been trying to disrupt the peace process by attacking government forces. “These acts cannot be tolerated,” he said.

Muslim rebels have injured 13 and killed one of the government’s forces.

Col. Dickson Hermoso, spokesperson of the Philippine Army’s Maguindanao-based 6th Infantry Division, said that security forces have captured several rebel strongholds, including a facility believed to be used in making improvised bombs. He said the military operation was supposed to end this Wednesday but was extended to Saturday.

Philippine “peace” deal gives jihadists more powerful, better-funded and potentially larger Muslim region

Peace deal or surrender? Just a few months ago jihadists occupied five districts in Zamboanga City shutting the city down. And Muslims are already scoffing at the peace deal:

“We will continue the struggle. What we want is an Islamic state, an Islamic people, an Islamic constitution.”

From the “Terrorism Pays” department, via Philippines, Muslim rebels clinch peace deal

The Philippine government and the country’s largest Muslim rebel group completed talks Saturday on a deal to end four decades of fighting that has killed tens of thousands of people and helped foster Islamic extremism in Southeast Asia.

The accord between Filipino negotiators and the rebel Moro Islamic Liberation Front calls for Muslim self-rule in parts of the southern Philippines in exchange for the deactivation of the rebel force. Military presence in the proposed autonomous region would be restricted.

Much now will depend on how the accord is enforced, in particular whether the 11,000-strong rebel forces are able to maintain security in areas that would come under their control. At least four other smaller Muslim rebel groups are still fighting Manila’s rule in the southern Mindanao region, and could act as spoilers.

Officials from both sides announced the conclusion of talks in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, which has brokered the years-long negotiations. The accord and three other pacts signed last year make up a final peace agreement that is to be signed in the Philippine capital, Manila, possibly next month, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.

“This will give the just and lasting peace that our brothers in Mindanao are seeking.” said Lacierda, referring to the volatile southern region and homeland of minority Muslims in the predominantly Roman Catholic nation.

Under the peace deal, the Moro insurgents agreed to end violence in exchange for broader autonomy. An existing five-province Muslim autonomous region is to be replaced by a more powerful, better-funded and potentially larger region to be called Bangsamoro.

Despite the milestone, both the government and the rebels acknowledged that violence would not end overnight in a region that has long grappled with a volatile mix of crushing poverty, huge numbers of illegal firearms, clan wars and weak law enforcement.

One rebel group vowed to keep fighting.

“We will continue the struggle,” said Abu Misri, spokesman of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement, which broke off from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front three years ago. What we want is an Islamic state, an Islamic people, an Islamic constitution,” he told The Associated Press by telephone Saturday. Continue reading

Philippine Stock Exchange panders to Muslims with sharia-compliant stock list

Dhimmis for dollars. via PSE readies list of Shariah-compliant stocks – InterAksyon.com.

MANILA – The Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) will release a list of Shariah-compliant stocks this month to draw Muslim investors to the stock market.

On the sidelines of the PSE Bell Awards last Tuesday night, bourse president Hans B. Sicat told reporters the exchange tapped a third-party consulting firm to assist the exchange in selecting companies that will be part of the list.

“In about two weeks, we’ll make the formal launch. Our deadline is at the end of the month,” Sicat said, without elaborating.

Shariah is the moral code and religious law of Muslims. Shariah-compliant equities do not derive sales from alcohol, pork products, pornography, gambling and armaments. There are also restrictions on interest-related income.

In case bourse president Hans B Sicat wasn’t aware, 109,000 civilians were displaced by 200 Muslim separatists who want Islamic sharia law in the southern Philippines in September. In that latest siege, Muslims waged jihad, occupying five districts in Zamboanga City.

That’s some moral code.

Much more by clicking the Philippines link below.

109,000 civilians displaced by 200 Muslim separatists in southern Philippines

Why the Western media blackout on this Islamic siege that shut down an entire city? via Why the Conflict in the Southern Philippines Is Far From Over | TIME.com.

Nineteen days have passed since around 200 Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels marched on the City Hall there and tried to raise the “Bangsamoro Republik” flag to signal independence from the Manila government. Fifteen soldiers and police now are now dead along with at least 126 rebel fighters, while 109,000 civilians have been displaced into squalid camps amid a growing “humanitarian crisis,” according to the U.N. 

Rebel numbers have been swelled by reinforcements since the original confrontation on Sept. 9, and although almost 300 MNLF fighters have surrendered or been captured, a significant number remain at large, using Christian hostages as human shields. Zamboanga City is a tropical trading post of around a million people and the principle hub of the national sardine industry. Today, however, gunfire and the stench of rotting corpses characterize the Philippines’ third largest city, situated on the island of Mindanao.

Around 70,000 people are being housed under tarpaulin hastily erected across the bleachers and turf of the city’s main sports stadium. The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warns of a real risk of disease outbreaks and an urgent need for food, drinking water, health services, cooking utensils and other necessities. Carlos Conde, the Philippines researcher for Human Rights Watch, says the situation is deteriorating quickly with children especially hard-hit. In addition, “we are seeing a rise in gender-based violence because of the length of time people are staying there — rape and molestation are expected to increase,” he says.

More: ‘It ain’t over in Zamboanga’

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—It ain’t over.

After almost three weeks of fighting, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin on Saturday clarified the government had accomplished its mission to free all the hostages of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) but the “work is not yet over.”

In a press briefing here on Saturday, Gazmin said the government had accounted for all the hostages but had yet to complete house-to-house clearing operations 20 days after the rebels assaulted the third largest city in the Philippines and took an estimated 195 hostages.

The fighting that ensued left about 218 dead, wounded hundreds more, and sent more than 100,000 residents fleeing to evacuation centers.

The rebel assault, apparently aimed at thwarting a government peace plan with another Muslim separatist group, ground this city of more than a million residents virtually to a halt, razed 10,000 homes and reduced 30 to 40 hectares of once thriving communities to rubble.

It was one of the bloodiest and longest-running attacks by an Islamic separatist group in the south, the scene of a centuries-long Muslim rebellion for self-rule in this largely Catholic country.

More background here.

Philippines: Jihad displaces more than 62,000 in latest Muslim uprising

Religion of disturbing the peace. And death and destruction. via 56 dead as Philippine troops start to fight their way into rebel-held villages

ZAMBOANGA, Philippines — Philippine troops have started to battle their way into coastal villages in the south where Muslim rebels have held scores of residents hostage in a six-day standoff, sparking fierce clashes that have killed 56 people and displaced more than 60,000, officials said Saturday.

Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said government forces surrounding about 200 fighters from a Moro National Liberation Front rebel faction have started to advance and slowly retake rebel-held areas and clear roads in villages in the coastal outskirts of Zamboanga, a major port city.

President Benigno Aquino III said more firefights were expected but assured more than 62,000 displaced villagers being sheltered at a sports complex in Zamboanga city that the rebels’ capability to sow trouble has been degraded and the government was working to end the crisis soon.

A sharp increase from a day earlier via the affected city’s Twitter account

phil-jihad

Earlier in the week we told you the city was under siege from Muslim terrorists who want an autonomous Islamic region. Philippines: Muslims wage jihad, occupy five districts in Zamboanga City. Since then the Muslim “rebels” have taken more than 100 hostages and held them despite a truce.

via Philippine clashes erupt despite truce effort

ZAMBOANGA, Philippines (AP) — Muslim rebels holding more than 100 people hostage in the southern Philippines exchanged gunfire with government troops Saturday despite efforts by the country’s vice president to arrange a cease-fire and end the six-day standoff.

The standoff began Monday when about 200 fighters from a Moro National Liberation Front rebel faction stormed several coastal communities in Zamboanga city and seized residents. The military says 22 people, including 15 rebels, have since been killed in sporadic clashes between the guerrillas and troops who have surrounded them.

Vice President Jejomar Binay said rebel leader Nur Misuari agreed to a truce late Friday by telephone, and he relayed the news to Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, who has been helping deal with the crisis in Zamboanga city, a major port. Binay said he planned to fly to Zamboanga Saturday to help the negotiations.

But Gazmin said the rebels have continued to fire in violation of the agreement.

“Everybody wants peace, to stop this without more bloodshed,” Gazmin told DZBB radio network. “But as we speak, there’s firing so there’s no cease-fire. We agreed that government forces will not fire only if the MNLF will not open fire.”

President Benigno Aquino III flew to Zamboanga earlier Friday to visit government troops and some of the 24,000 residents displaced by the violence. He warned in a speech that his government won’t hesitate to use force to end the most serious security crisis his administration has faced since he came to power in 2010.

There was also fighting on Friday, and ABS-CBN TV reported that voices presumably of hostages were heard shouting “cease fire, cease fire.” One government soldier was reportedly wounded.

The Moro National Liberation Front rebels have been overshadowed by a rival group in talks with the government for a new minority Muslim autonomy deal.

Misuari signed a peace deal in 1996, but the guerrillas did not lay down their arms and later accused the government of reneging on a promise to develop long-neglected Muslim regions in the predominantly Roman Catholic nation. The government says Misuari kept on stalling and making new demands.

Misuari has not been seen in public since the standoff began.

“There are lines they should not cross,” Aquino said of the rebels. He said the government would be obligated to use “the force of the state” if those lines are crossed.

The U.S. has troops in the Philippines.

Added:

Philippines: Muslims wage jihad, occupy five districts in Zamboanga City

They want an independent, sharia-run Mindanao. Coming to a Muslim enclave in the US by 2050? via More troop reinforcement in Zamboanga | ABS-CBN News.

Government soldiers move with armored personnel carriers to reinforce forces battling the Moro National Liberation Front MNLF rebels in Zamboanga City on Tuesday. Sporadic gunfire erupted between soldiers and Muslim rebels occupying five districts of the city.

The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels held some civilians hostage in Zamboanga City after a clash with government troops erupted Sunday evening.
Zamboanga City Mayor Isabelle Climaco said at least 20 civilians are now being used as “human shields” by the MNLF rebels who are trying to take over the city.

Climaco said she received a report that a soldier died but she has no figures on the number of injured. She said some 400 MNLF rebels are involved in the ongoing skirmishes.

ABS-CBN News Zamboanga reports 2 civilians died and 4 were wounded after rebels attacked jeepney passengers in Barangay Talon-Talon.

Watch video here.

Filipino Muslims wage jihad on Malaysian town, villagers flee

Unreported by Western media, another front in the ever-expanding jihad by Muslims leaves a trail of dead bodies and creates new refugees. This time in Malaysia.

Update: Filipino militant incursion toll rises to 60 after clashes in Malaysia

my_map

via Villagers flee Sabah towns as Malaysia, Philippines fail to calm Sulu forces – InterAksyon.com. h/t kb

Semporna, Malaysia – Terrified Malaysians fled a town where the bodies of gunmen lay in the streets Monday as the Philippines called for its neighbor to show “maximum tolerance” for Islamic Filipino intruders.

A total of 27 people have been reported killed after two deadly shootouts in Malaysia’s state of Sabah on Borneo island, where militants landed on February 12 and claimed the state on behalf of the heir to a former Philippine sultanate. Journalists saw convoys of armed vehicles moving toward affected areas after Prime Minister Najib Razak, whose government was scrambling to contain Malaysia’s worst security crisis in years, ordered strengthened security in the state.

Dispatching Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario to Malaysia, the Philippine government called the deaths “deeply regrettable” and urged “maximum tolerance in dealing with the remaining members” of the sultan’s group. It also prodded Malaysia for more information on the confused situation on the ground and asked that a Philippine naval ship be allowed to land to provide humanitarian, consular and medical help to besieged intruders.

An estimated 100-300 Filipino intruders have been holed up for three weeks, surrounded by police and the military, in the remote farming village of Tanduo. The tense standoff erupted in a shootout Friday that killed 12 intruders and two police.

Fears of a wider guerrilla infiltration spread after a Saturday gunbattle in Semporna, a town that is hours away from Tanduo by road, in which six police and six gunmen died, according to authorities.

Another gunman was beaten to death there Saturday by villagers, police have said.

Federal police chief Ismail Omar was quoted by the national news agency Bernama as saying Monday that the situation was “under control”. But an Agence France-Presse reporter in Semporna said residents were fleeing the normally laid-back seaside town, where the foul-smelling corpses of three men still lay in the streets on Monday in a grisly reminder of the shocking unrest. Residents said they were gunmen killed by police.

“Our peaceful town has become a nightmare to live in,” Julasri Yaakob, 38, said as he heaved a bag full of clothes onto a lorry. “We are moving out because these are uncertain times. We heard the gunshots. My children are afraid.” Schools, stores and government offices were closed in the town but there was little sign of a security presence despite the recent shootout and fleeing population. The affair has exposed lax border security and was likely to fuel longstanding complaints in Sabah that massive illegal immigration has fuelled lawlessness, just as Najib is due to call elections in coming months. Followers of the 74-year-old Manila-based Islamic leader, Jamalul Kiram III, say the gunmen are ready to die to defend his claim to Sabah, which was once controlled by the now-defunct sultanate. Supporters of the Filipino intruders took their campaign to cyberspace on Monday, manipulating Google listings to post a message backing the incursion. A Google search for “Sabah” came back with a results page that displayed a “Wikipedia” entry preview calling Malaysian control of the state “illegitimate”. A number of Philippine sites also were reportedly defaced by pro-Malaysia hackers. The exact identities of the gunmen and their numbers remain a mystery. Malaysia’s opposition has pounced, accusing the government of incompetence, failure to protect national sovereignty and failure to release timely information on the crisis. Sabah has seen previous smaller cross-border raids from Islamic militants and other bandits from the Philippines, but nothing of this scale. The Sulu sultanate’s power faded about a century ago but it has continued to receive nominal Malaysian payments for Sabah under a lease deal inherited from European colonial powers.

Muslim invaders may ask Obama to intercede.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 36,296 other followers

%d bloggers like this: