Michigan: Muslim cleric popular with ISIS owes govt $250,000

via Mich. cleric popular with Islamic State owes $250K. h/t Atlas Shrugs.

DETROIT — A cleric in Dearborn popular with supporters of the Islamic State owes a quarter-million dollars in restitution and other costs stemming from his fraud convictions, according to newly filed court records.

Ahmad Jebril, 43, who has gained an international following among Islamic State fighters and sympathizers, is on probation after serving 6 1/2 years in prison. After being released in 2012, he has used social media to become what experts say is the most popular religious leader for Islamists from the West fighting for the Islamic State.

Federal authorities in Detroit are trying to collect more than $250,000 in restitution from Jebril and more than $3,600 in special assessments for 42 counts of fraud. So far, Jebril has paid only $2,790, according to a motion filed Aug. 11 by the U.S. Attorney’s office in Detroit. On Aug. 12, U.S. District Judge Gerald Rosen approved the government’s motion, which calls for “actions necessary to enforce the collection of the restitution.”

In the motion, federal prosecutors wrote that a probation officer said she has “financial information about (Jebril) that would be helpful” to set up an “appropriate repayment schedule.” Jebril’s liability for restitution expires 20 years after his release from prison, which means he would have to pay more than $1,000 a month to pay his amount in full, which he is not meeting, said prosecutors.

Jebril and his attorney did not returns calls or an e-mail seeking comment. He was to appear for a deposition in the case on Aug. 13.

The government’s move to collect money from Jebril comes after Rosen placed restrictions on the Dearborn cleric in June because of his probation violations. Jebril was traveling out of state to speak at Islamic centers, but now is not allowed to leave the eastern half of Michigan and must share information about his computer activity to his probation officers if asked. The restrictions came after a Free Press report in May that noted his extensive activities online.

The Centre for the Study of Radicalisation and Political Violence released a report in April that said Jebril was the most popular inspirational figure for Western fighters flocking to the Middle East to join forces of the Islamic State. Jebril’s “popularity is particularly strong among groups like” this, the report said. Among the militants the center surveyed, more than half of those who liked Jebril on his Facebook page and followed him on Twitter were with the Islamic State.

“A number of British (Islamic State) fighters have told us that they watched his (Jebril’s) lecture series … before embarking on jihad,” the report said, which was written by three security experts for a center affiliated with five universities.

Jebril often interacts on Twitter with fighters associated with the Islamic State and other groups, the report said.

Jebril also is popular with Jabhat al-Nusra, another extremist group that operates in Syria. Jebril’s Facebook page was the most popular among the fighters surveyed, according to the report.

Jebril and his father were convicted in 2005 of 42 counts of fraud of almost $400,000 that included mail fraud, bank fraud, failure to pay income tax and money laundering.

The two deliberately defaced rental properties in order to collect insurance money. They also were convicted of trying to bribe a juror in their trial by offering to pay for her wedding if she helped acquit them.

Meanwhile, supporters of Jebril are rallying online to the defense of the Dearborn cleric, saying the government is unfairly cracking down on him.

In recent weeks, followers have tweeted support for Jebril, claiming he is being silenced, but the government has not banned him from speaking out or posting online. Jebril’s popular Twitter (26,000-plus followers) and Facebook (219,000-plus likes) accounts have not posted anything since July 9.

Oregon: Terror-funding Islamic charity pleads guilty to tax fraud

Barack Hussein Obama and Eric Holder exonerate a Muslim convicted of funding al Qaeda. via Oregon Islamic charity pleads guilty to tax fraud | KOIN.com. h/t Money Jihad.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon-based Islamic charity has pleaded guilty to tax fraud in a plea agreement that includes dropping criminal charges against the foundation’s former head, U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced Tuesday.

Pete Seda is the former head of the U.S. branch of Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation based in Ashland. A federal appeals court last summer overturned his 2010 conviction on charges he smuggled money out of the country to help Chechen rebels fight Russian forces.

On Tuesday, the charity pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Eugene to one count of filing a false tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. The group was placed on probation for three years, and it agreed during that time not to resume operating as a tax-exempt charity in the U.S., prosecutors said.

The charity failed to report to the Internal Revenue Service that a $150,000 donation in 2000 went overseas to Saudi Arabia and was meant to be sent to Chechnya, prosecutors said. The charity falsely reported on its tax return that the money was used partly to buy a building in the U.S.

The foundation was disbanded after the U.S. government declared it was a terrorist organization and froze its assets.

The charity doesn’t even exist anymore so how can it be placed on three years probation? Or does it exist and has it been operating funding jihad as a designated terrorist org all along? In fact, the terrorist-loving, patriot-hating IRS is only banning the terror-funding Muslim charity from operating as a tax exempt org. Apparently it can operate otherwise.

A message left Tuesday evening with a lawyer representing the charity was not immediately returned.

Also known as Pirouz Sedaghaty, Seda worked for many years as a tree surgeon in Ashland, where he operated the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation and was an outspoken proponent of the peaceful aspects of Islam.

A jury convicted the Iranian-born U.S. citizen in 2010 of using the foundation to help smuggle $150,000 to Saudi Arabia in 2000 and signing a fraudulent tax return to cover it up. During the trial, Seda blamed the tax return on his accountant and maintained the money was for humanitarian aid.

At Seda’s 2011 sentencing, a federal judge said there was no proof directly linking him to terrorism, but the judge said he had no doubt the money went to Islamic fighters in Chechnya, as the prosecution maintained.

In August 2013, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco overturned the conviction, saying the government turned what was really a tax fraud case into a terrorism case. The court said the defense was given incomplete versions of classified documents.

Eric Holder, the 9th Pillar Sharia Court, and the IRS – infidels don’t have a chance against them.

Landmark Terror Financing Trial Begins in New York

via The Tower.

The terror financing trial of the Arab Bank, based in Amman, Jordan, began yesterday in Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

The New York Daily News reports:

The plaintiffs suing Arab Bank for facilitating money transfers to charities controlled by Hamas and suicide bombers are 300 victims and family members of 24 terrorist attacks in Israel between March 2001 and September 2004.

“We intend to prove the bank knowingly provided financial services to senior Hamas leaders and operatives and to the families of suicide bombers,” said Gary Osen, attorney for the plaintiffs.

According to the report in The New York Times the case will revolve around how much officials of the bank knew that they were knowingly providing services to Hamas, a designated terror organization. For example Hamas spokesman Osama Hamdan maintained an account at the bank and ” at least three wire transfers” made to his account “were earmarked for Hamas” and were approved by officials at the bank.

The plaintiffs allege that charities like the Saudi Committee sent payments to terrorists and their families that the bank processed, pointing to a Saudi Committee spreadsheet that listed “the names of martyrs and their beneficiaries, as well as the martyrs’ causes of death,” according to an order from Judge Gershon.

The plaintiffs also have as evidence ads like one that ran in an Arab-language newspaper in 2002: “The relatives of the martyrs, whose names hereby follow, are requested to head for the Arab Bank branches in their places of residence in order to receive the tenth payment from the honorable Saudi Committee — a sum of 5,316.06 USD for each family.”

Payments of $5316.06 were typically made to families of “martyrs.”

In pre-trial proceedings the Arab Bank refused to turn over a number of documents demanded by the court leading Judge Nina Gershon to rule that she would instruct the jury that due to the refusal the jury “’may, but is not required to, infer’ that the bank provided financial services to designated terrorist organizations and individuals.”

Last month The New York Times reported on the dubious tricks major banks have used to continue doing business with Iran in violation of existing sanctions.

In his profile of Nitsana Darshan-Leitner, The Woman Who Makes the Jihadis Squirm that appeared in the February 2014 issue of The Tower Magazine, editor David Hazony explained the difficulty of suing banks for terror ties, “Yet the biggest challenge has clearly been fighting against corporations and banks. Suddenly you find yourself facing massive teams of well-heeled lawyers who have long ago mastered the tactics of high-stakes litigation on behalf of wealthy clients who exist only to preserve and build their wealth.”

Afghanistan has cost more to rebuild than Europe after WWII (updated)

Including more than 2,300 American lives, not mentioned in this Telegraph article. via Afghanistan has cost more to rebuild than Europe after Second World War – Telegraph.

The cost of rebuilding Afghanistan has exceeded the amount of money spent putting Europe back on its feet after the Second World War, it has been disclosed.

A US government report revealed the unprecedented levels of corruption and waste that have pushed the cost of reconstruction beyond the total spent under the Marshall Plan. British and other western troops are preparing to leave the country at the end of the year.

American taxpayers have provided £61.5 billion since 2002 and Britain about £890 million, for hundreds of development projects. The military operation has cost America a further £296 billion and Britain £22 billion, the Times reported.

However, the US watchdog on American spending in Afghanistan says that most of the projects it analysed were undermined by “poor planning, shoddy construction, mechanical failures and inadequate oversight”.

The Marshall Plan cost the equivalent of £61 billion at today’s prices, says the report, which was presented to the US Congress this week.

Professor Michael Clarke, director of the Royal United Services Institute think-tank, said: “The world will look back on Afghanistan and Iraq as examples of really poor thinking and planning.”

The economic assistance programme initiated by General George Marshall, the US secretary of state, generated decades of prosperity in western Europe.

By contrast, nearly 13 years after the Taliban were overthrown, the US and other donors continue to fund 60 per cent of the Afghan national budget and are pledged to underwrite a further “decade of transformation” in the country.

For the US, Britain and other coalition partners, Afghanistan has been a hugely expensive exercsise, but with five months to go before the mission switches from a military operation to a relatively small “advise and assist” programme, there remain concerns that Taliban insurgents will sabotage continuing efforts to redevelop the country.

“Large areas of the country will soon be off limits to US personnel due to base closures and troop withdrawals,” the report by the Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction says.

Confidence that aid money will end up in the right hands will also lessen dramatically as Nato pulls out troops, the report says. About 80 per cent of the country is already beyond the reach of US government monitors, according to an estimate last October.

Senior members of the Afghan government have accrued vast wealth since 2001 including members of President Karzai’s family. A US army analysis made public in April said: “Corruption directly threatens the viability and legitimacy of the Afghan state.”

Western forces quickly found themselves “trapped in a warlord protection racket”, it added.

In his latest report, the inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, John Sopko, highlighted numerous examples of waste.

Despite $7.6 billion spent on counter-narcotics operations, opium production has increased for the past three years and is now at record levels.

America and the EU spent more than $3billion on building up the Afghan police force, yet 54,000 of those policemen are “ghosts” non-existent but being paid each month.

Mr Sopko found that 16 Italian-built C27 transport planes worth $486 million had been left to rot next to the runway at Kabul airport.

The US had provided 747,000 firearms to Afghan security forces worth $626 million. They found that 43 per cent have disappeared from official stock lists that track their whereabouts in Afghanistan.


Update via Long War Journal: Insider attack at Kabul base kills US major general, wounds 16 troops including senior Coalition officers 

An Afghan soldier opened fire today on a gathering of Coalition officers and soldiers at a military training academy near Kabul, killing a US major general and wounding 16 more personnel, including a US brigadier general, a German general, five British troops, and at least one Afghan officer.

An American major general was reported to have been killed in the shooting today. The general’s name was not released, but Coalition officials said an Afghan commander was also shot along with other Coalition and Afghan troops. About “a dozen” of the wounded are said to be Americans. A report also indicated that five British troops were among the injured.

The casualty count may rise, as a number of injuries were said to be serious because the attacker fired at close range. A Reuters report cited an American official as saying the attacker had used a light machinegun. A number of victims were evacuated by Coalition helicopters following the attack.

The attack took place at the Marshal Fahim National Defense University in Kabul City, the International Security Assistance Force noted in a press release.

Washington: Muslim caught raising funds for jihadists called Boston bombing “a blessing”

And “‘talked gleefully” about a mall attack in Kenya that killed 67 people.” 

via Washington woman suspected of funding terrorists calls Boston Mar | www.ajc.com.

KIRO on Wednesday went to the home of a Washington state woman suspected of funding a terrorist group linked with al-Qaida.

Hinda Osman Dhirane was scheduled to be released from custody on Tuesday evening, and when KIRO’s Nick McGurk knocked on her door, a woman answered and then slammed the door.

Federal prosecutors say the Dhirane led a fundraising conspiracy by funneling money to a terrorist group called Al Shabaab, which has ties to al-Qaida in Somalia.

As part of the investigation, Dhirane had been wiretapped.

And KIRO found out that, in court Tuesday, prosecutors say she called the Boston Marathon bombing a “blessing.”

In another phone conversation she had allegedly “talked gleefully” about a mall attack in Kenya that killed 67 people.

A judge says Dhirane has to give up her passport as a condition of her electronic home monitoring and her next court date is in Virginia.

 She was scheduled to be released from custody? WTF?

Background via Muslim women in Virginia & Washington arrested, led al-Shabaab jihad fundraising network.

 

HSBC closes some Muslim groups’ accounts

via BBC News – HSBC closes some Muslim groups’ accounts. h/t Blazing Cat Fur

HSBC bank has written to Finsbury Park Mosque and other Muslim organisations in the UK to tell them that their accounts will be closed.

The reason given in some cases was that to continue providing services would be outside the bank’s “risk appetite”.

The wife and teenage children of a man who runs a London based Islamic think tank have also been contacted.

HSBC said decisions to close accounts were “absolutely not based on race or religion”.

“We do not discuss relationships we may or may not have with a customer, nor confirm whether an individual or business is, or has been a customer.

“Discrimination against customers on grounds of race or religion is immoral, unacceptable and illegal, and HSBC has comprehensive rules and policies in place to ensure race or religion are never factors in banking decisions.”

The bank said it was “applying a programme of strategic assessments to all of its businesses” after a $1.9bn fine in 2012 over poor money-laundering controls.

“As a result of these ongoing reviews, we have exited relationships with business and personal customers in over 70 countries.

“The services we provide to charities are no exception to this global review,” the bank added.

Muslim charities quite regularly fund jihad. Cordoba Foundation and Ummah Welfare trust were also notified by HSBC – the bank that was Fined Just $32,400 for Laundering Money for Hezbollah.

 

More details here UK: HSBC Shuts Down Islamist Bank Accounts

 

Nancy Pelosi: Hamas-financiers tell me ‘Hamas is a humanitarian org’ (video)

And she believes it.bizarroworld

Nancy Pelosi

News flash for Pelosi: Qatar funds Hamas

Jonathan Schanzer, vice president of research at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, told JNS that Qatar is “believed to be the primary financier of Hamas.” And the Islamist group, which is currently at war with Israel in Gaza, is reported to have estimated annual expenses of some $1 billion.

In 2012, then Qatari Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani became the first head of state to visit Gaza since Hamas seized power there in a bloody 2007 battle with Fatah. Al Thani, who was driven around Gaza by themn Hamas prime minister Ismail Haniyeh, pledged some $400 million to the strip. His son, the British-educated Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, took over as emir following his father’s abdication last year, and is known to look on Hamas just as favorably.

Former Qatari emir Al Thani and Ismail Haniyeh in Gaza in 2012 (Photo: AP)

Former Qatari emir Al Thani and Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Gaza in 2012 (Photo: AP)

In 2013: Congress to Qatar: Stop funding Hamas

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 36,079 other followers

%d bloggers like this: