We were alerted to the logo of the Toronto District School Board. It’s eerily similar to an Islamic crescent and star, and even uses the color green.
Perusing the School Board’s website, they have an entire page about Hajj & Islam including videos of Mecca and a video of the racist, socialist Malcolm X. No mention of the fact that non-Muslims are not permitted in Mecca, Saudi Arabia where Muslims go to fulfill a pillar of Islam.
A 2002 lesson titled, “The Medieval World,” for students in Grade 4, requires students to role play as a Muslim:
Men’s Roles Women’s Roles
– caliph – khouttab (secretary)
– vizier – teacher
– sultan – doctor
– emir – scribe
– nadim – elite woman
– khouttab (secretary) – merchant in the souk
– qadi [sharia judge] – craftsperson
– doctor – servant
– scientist – slave
– elite man
– merchant in the souk
– shurta (policeman)
– postal worker
3. Fold the slips and place them into two boxes, one for boys and one for girls. [segregation?] Ask students to come and pick a slip out of the box to identify the role they will be playing.
4. Have students refer to the handout The Social Structure of the Medieval Islamic World (p. 000), given to them as part of the previous activity. They should use the information to help them fill in the blanks on their slip, for example:
I AM A NADIM.
MY ROLE IS COMPANION OF THE CALIPH.
MY RESPONSIBILITY IS TO ENTERTAIN THE CALIPH WITH STORIES AND GAMES.
5. Once students have completed their slips identifying their roles and responsibilities, have them create a name tag identifying their role so that it is visible to others.
Apparently they have something called Islamic History Month in Toronto as well, and a three-page list of dawah videos promoting Islam and the West’s stereotypes of jihad. It’s 2010 – do you know what your children are learning in school?
Many previous posts on sharia and jihad in Toronto here.