Timely follow up to Wednesday’s post on 40% of Muslims in US want sharia, 46% say criminalize blasphemy, 1 in 8 say death for offending Muslims.
via tn Council 4 political justice‘s Newsletter #51 – “American Muslims” or “Muslims That Just Live in America”?
An article posted on the Kurdistan National Assembly website quotes MTSU’s Saleh Sbenaty – faculty advisor to the school’s Muslim Brotherhood’s Muslim Students Association (MSA), and member of Governor Haslam’s American Muslim Advisory Council (AMAC), as saying, “I considered myself an American the moment I placed a foot in this country”. It seems, however, that his daughter Dimaa feels otherwise, or at the very least, finds living in Syria preferable:
MUSLIM–YES. AMERICAN—NOT SO MUCH
Despite being American born and raised in the U.S Dimaa Sbenaty, self-titled “Dove of Damascus” seems like many Muslims of her generation who identify first as Muslims, then according to a parent’s country of origin (e.g., Palestinian, Kurdish, Syrian,), with the American adjective taking on a connotation more about physical location than identity.
According to both the current and proposed Syrian constitutions, the “religion” and “values” which Dimaa wants to be immersed in by living in Syria are defined in part, by Islam and Shariah law. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development’s (OECD), 2012 Social Institutions & Gender Index ranks Syria 75th out of 86 countries surveyed, down from 59th in 2009. The report cites the following factors for this ranking:
- Discriminatory Family Code – the status of Muslim women in Syria is governed by Shariah law which discriminates against women in matters of marriage, divorce and inheritance, all of which are decided by the religious Shariah courts with no option to be heard in the civil court system.
- Polygamy is allowed if the husband satisfies the court that he can afford it; no consent from wife #1 needed.
- Unilateral divorce by the husband is allowed (talaq); women have very narrow circumstances under which they can petition for divorce.
- A child’s Syrian citizenship only passes through a Muslim father so children born of non-Muslim fathers cannot inherit, or access free healthcare and education.
- Honor killings occur and “honor” is accepted as a mitigating factor for violent crimes.
- Married women may only work outside the home if the husband permits.
- All women are barred from working at night and in certain professions “deemed injurious to their health or morals.”
Dimaa, like her sister Lema from Newsletter #50, also participated in the MTSU Muslim Brotherhood Muslim Students Association. Given her father’s commitment to that organization and all it stands for, the Sbenaty household seems steeped in the Brotherhood’s credo that “Islam is the solution”.
Actually, the Muslim Brotherhood’s motto is:
Allah is our objective
The Prophet is our leader
Koran is our law
Jihad is our way
Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope
The Muslim Brotherhood has documented its goal in America too:
The Ikhwan must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and “sabotaging” its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God’s religion is made victorious over all other religions. Without this level of understanding, we are not up to this challenge and have not prepared ourselves for Jihad yet. It is a Muslim’s destiny to perform Jihad and work wherever he is and wherever he lands until the final hour comes…
And more on their U.S.-based campus group in Why Muslim Student Group Concerned the NYPD.