FBI agents on Friday morning arrested a Twin Cities man who allegedly threatened to harm agents after a terror suspect from Eagan was taken into custody earlier in the week.
Nineteen-year-old Khaalid Adam Abdulkadir was taken into custody without incident. Read the criminal complaint here.
He is the second person in the last year who has allegedly threatened federal authorities online after the arrests of suspects in an on-going terror investigation of Somali-American men in the Twin Cities.
“FBI agents in Minneapolis and around the country risk their lives every day to keep the rest of us safe,” said U.S. Attorney for Minnesota Andy Luger after the arrest. “While there are many legitimate means in the United States to voice dissent and difference of opinion with our government, threatening violent retaliation against federal agents is both illegal and outrageous. My office will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law those who threaten to kill federal officials who work on behalf of all Americans.”
On Wednesday night, agents arrested 20-year-old Abdirizak Mohamed Warsame of Eagan. He is the 10th man charged in Minnesota in the last year suspected of conspiring to support terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
During the last year, Adbulkadir has been in close contact by social media with two former Minneapolis men who are indicted on terrorism charges.
Details of his conversations with Mohamed Abdullahi Hassan, also known as “Miski,” and Abdi Nur were included in the criminal complaint released Friday. Adbulkadir told Miski that he was searching for ways to get to Syria, according to his Twitter account threads contained in the complaint. In January, he said he was “trying to make moves and I have no connections.”
Miski, who surrendered to government authorities in Somalia last month, advised Adbulkadir that he should first just try to get to Turkey and then leave the rest of the journey to Allah.
In May, Adbulkadir sent three Facebook messages to Nur who is in Syria fighting for ISIS, the complaint states. Adbulkadir told Nur that he and two other men wanted to get to Syria as soon as possible. “We go the money in cash and plan doing something with it so help bro,” he wrote Nur.
That same month, Adbulkadir and a group of friends attended the court hearing of one of the 10 defendants in the on-going terrorism investigation in the Twin Cities. After the hearing, he and his friends gathered on the plaza in front of the Federal Courthouse in Minneapolis and, in what was interpreted as “anti-law enforcement behavior,” began to videotape a deputy U.S. Marshall who was sitting in the building’s cafe, the charges state.
Previously, Mahamed Abukar Said of Minneapolis was charged in April with two felonies after writing on his Twitter account that he was going to “whack” the U.S. Attorney General. His threat came after the arrest of Twin Cities suspects who were allegedly trying to join Islamic State group forces in Syria.
At first, prosecutors believed that Said meant to harm Luger. But at his sentencing, Said testified that he was referring to the U.S. Attorney General. He pleaded guilty to impeding a law enforcement officer. He will serve four years of probation.
He pleaded not guilty:
A federal judge from South Dakota is overseeing the case because of the nature of the charges. Judge Karen Schreier said Thursday that Abdulkadir is a danger and a flight risk and will remain in custody.
The nature of the charges requires an out of state judge?