Barring a plea deal, a 65-year-old man accused of assaulting a juvenile boy inside a mosque in Canton is facing trial in Wayne County Circuit Court.
Defendant Hobibur Rahman of Hamtramck, charged amid allegations he used a blunt object to attack the boy, could face four years in prison if he is convicted of assault with a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault.
Rahman is facing trial after he appeared Friday in 35th District Court and voluntarily gave up his right to a preliminary hearing — a move that for now averted courtroom testimony. A not-guilty plea has been entered for him.
Rahman was charged after an incident unfolded Aug. 10 inside the Masjid Bilal mosque on Ridge Road, north of Cherry Hill. Canton Public Safety Director Joshua Meier early on called it “an isolated incident” and said it was not a hate crime.
Police believe the defendant attended the mosque, but officials haven’t disclosed any potential motive for the alleged assault.
Detective Sgt. Dan Traylor has said the juvenile boy was not seriously injured and was not hospitalized.
Police haven’t disclosed what kind of weapon was used — only that it was a blunt object.
Magistrate Frank Wren released Rahman on a $10,000 personal bond during his initial arraignment on charges in 35th District Court.
The accused is
…and they are building another mosque in what appears to be a residential area of Ypsilanti, where there are extensive parking issues/violations:
The website indicates they are also planning on building a madrassah. But, nothing to see here.
We alerted citizens a year ago, 2 new mosques proposed within 2 miles of each other in Ypsilanti Twp.
Last week’s police blotter of mosques and imams in the U.S. included these pillars of diversity: