Police have arrested a 31-year-old Toronto man after a 17-year-old girl told police she was forced into a man’s car and sexually assaulted in North York on Wednesday morning.
Investigators said the girl was walking in the area of York Mills Road and Leslie Street at 11:45 a.m. on Wednesday when a man in a black sedan pulled up alongside her.
Police say the man engaged with the girl in conversation and then offered her a ride.
When the girl declined, police say the man got out of his vehicle and allegedly physically forced the girl into his car.
He then allegedly sexually assaulted the girl inside.
The girl managed to escape from the car a short time later and quickly reported the incident to police. On Thursday, investigators released images of the suspect’s vehicle.
On Friday a suspect identified as Muhammad Shahid was arrested.
He was charged with one count of sexual assault and one count of forcible confinement.
He appeared in court at 1000 Finch Avenue West on Friday morning.
The [Canadian] state broadcaster has done it again. Their story about a sexual assault in Toronto hasn’t been updated despite the fact a suspect has been charged.
As it turns out, 31-year-old Muhammad Shahid was charged.
But you wouldn’t know that if you read the CBC article, which hasn’t been updated. The article keeps the original police report description “The man is described as white, in his 20s, 5 foot 7, with dirty blonde hair. He was wearing a multi-coloured, buttoned-up plaid shirt and blue jeans.”
No mention of Muhammad Shahid. And there’s no additional story serving as an update. Maybe the CBC would have done some additional reporting if the suspect had been named “Joe Smith”.