The ringleader of the London Bridge terror attack who was photographed on the ground with canisters strapped to his body was today named by police as Khuram Butt
Butt, 27, of Barking, East London, is believed to have led the trio of terrorists who ploughed into pedestrians using a hired van, before stabbing revellers in pubs and bars on Saturday night.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said Butt was known to police and MI5 but said there had been no evidence of “attack planning” and he had been deemed as a ‘low priority.’
A second man Rachid Redouane, 30, also from Barking was named by police as one of the other two attackers. Redouane was unknown to police. The third man is not a UK citizen.
Today it emerged that Butt had appeared in the Channel 4 documentary The Jihadis Next Door, which warned of the rise of extreme Islam in London.
Butt had been reported to the anti-terror police on at least two occasions, it was claimed.
A former friend of the terrorist, who was shot dead by police on Saturday night along with two accomplices, claimed he had been radicalised watching videos on YouTube and said he contacted the authorities after becoming concerned over his obvious extremist views.
The documentary showed Haleema recording videos for YouTube in which he called for Muslims to ‘stop worshiping this false God democracy and come back to worshipping Allah.’
A neighbour also claimed she had contacted police in Barking after the terror suspect tried to convert her children to Islam and radicalise them.
The friend told the BBC’s Asian network that the terrorist, who was known as Abu or Abs, had been radicalised watching vidoes of the infamous American hate preacher Ahmad Musa Jibril.
He said: “We spoke about a particular attack that happened and like most radicals he had a justification for anything and everything and that day I realised that I needed to contact the authorities.”
He added: “He use to listen to a lot of Musa Jibril. I have heard some of this stuff and its very radical. I am surprised this stuff is is still on YouTube and is easily accessible.
“I phoned the anti-terror hotline. I spoke to the gentleman. I told him about our conversation and why I think he was radicalised.”
“I did my bit, I know a lot of other people did their bit, but the authorities did not do their bit,” he said.
Erica Gasparri, an Italian mother of three who lived close to him claimed she had reported him to Barking Police two years ago, after he began “brainwashing” her children at a local park.
She said she had confronted him after her two children came home and said “Mummy I want to become a Muslim.”
She said the police had told her that the information had been passed to Scotland Yard but she had heard nothing more.
Ms Gasparri said: “He was trying to radicalise the children, he would go down to the park and talk to them about Islam. He also came to the houses and gave the kids money and sweets during Ramadan.”
The two named London jihadis were both refugees/asylum seekers per a Sky News report.
The third jihadi was a Moroccan and also known to police for terror links: London Bridge attacker named as Youssef Zaghba, 22, ‘was flagged to British authorities last year after being arrested en route to Syria’
THE FINAL London Bridge attacker has today been revealed by terror cops as a Moroccan-Italian living in east London.
Youssef Zaghba, 22, had been arrested at Bologna Airport in March last year when he tried to travel to Syria via Turkey, Corriere Della Sera claims.
He was stopped at the airport in Bologna, where his mum lives, with just a backpack and one-way ticket to Istanbul in March 2016 and no money.
DID THEY LET ANOTHER SLIP THROUGH THE NET?
- Youssef Zaghba, 22, stopped at Bologna airport from boarding to flight to Turkey in March 2016
- He only had a one-way ticket to Istanbul, no luggage, a small backpack and no cash on him – raising fears he was travelling to Syria to join ISIS
- Prosecutors who seized his phone found propaganda videos and images suggesting he wished to join the terror network
- A complete dossier was forwarded to the MI5 in April 2016, more than a year before the attack in London Bridge, Repubblica reports
- The Met’s Counter-Terrorism Command say he was “not a police or MI5 subject of interest”
- Zaghba was born in Fez, Morocco, in January 1995 to a Moroccan dad and Italian mum
- His parents split and his mum now lives in Bologna, while Zaghba was living in east London
The paper claims Moroccan and “British authorities” were tipped off about his movements after he was charged and later cleared on international terrorism charges and placed on a “persons at risk” list.
But a statement from the Met’s Counter-Terrorism Command say he was “not a police or MI5 subject of interest”.
His phone was taken off him and according to Repubblica, photos showed a link to joining ISIS.
This information was sent by Italian authorities to “London”, along with a complete dossier forwarded to MI5 – more than a year before the London terror attack, the paper reports.
Zaghba is the last attacker to be named following the rampage in London Bridge on Saturday night.
We posted on the Dearborn “cleric” previously in Michigan: Ahmad Jibril – America’s ISIS P in-up Boy (video)
In 2005, Ahmad Jibril and his father, Musa Abdallah Jibril, 66, were convicted on 42 counts of an indictment charging them with bank fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and other counts. Ahmad Jibril was sentenced to 5 years and 10 months in prison; his father, to 4 years and 10 months. Federal authorities accused the Jibrils of buying 13 homes and two apartment buildings in Metro Detroit since 1988 and insuring them for far more than they were worth. They were accused of defrauding six local banks of more than $250,000.
The government produced a ‘Supplemental Sentencing Memorandum’ that stated that a family photo album seized during the investigation contained ‘photos of Ahmad as a teenager dressed as a mujahid… (and) photos of very young children holding apparently real firearms, “playing” at holding each other hostage and aiming the weapons at each other’s heads,’ according to the report by International Center of the Study for Radicalization and Political Violence.
The memorandum also revealed that Ahmad Musa Jibril was running a radical Salafi website (AlSalayfoon.com) at the time of his arrest that “contained a library of fanatically anti-American sermons by militant Islamic clerics, in English and in Arabic.”
They also found that he had sent a fax to CNN in 1996 claiming responsibility for the Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, warning “[t]here will be a series of bombings that will follow no matter how many lives of ours are taken.”