Hey Rashida, this motherf***er was impeached…by a drone.
Update: Now confirmed
Original post. Source: US official: Airstrike kills terrorist behind USS Cole bombing – CNNPolitics
The terrorist behind the 2000 attack on the USS Cole is believed to have been killed in a US airstrike in Yemen on Tuesday, according to a US administration official.
Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi was an al Qaeda operative who the US believes helped orchestrate the October 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 American sailors.
The official said all intelligence indicators show al-Badawi was killed in a strike in Yemen as a result of a joint US military and intelligence operation.
US officials told CNN that the strike took place in Yemen’s Ma’rib Governorate.
While US Central Command, which oversees military operations in the region, later confirmed that al-Badawi was targeted in a strike, a spokesman said the US was still assessing the results.
“US forces conducted a precision strike Jan. 1st in the Marib governate, Yemen, targeting Jamal al-Badawi, a legacy al Qaeda operative in Yemen involved in the USS Cole bombing,” US Navy Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for Central Command, told CNN in a statement.
“US forces are still assessing the results of the strike following a deliberate process to confirm his death,” he added.
The administration official said that al-Badawi was struck while driving alone in a vehicle and that the US assessed there was not any collateral damage.
Al-Badawi was on the FBI’s list of most wanted terrorists.
The Cole was attacked by suicide bombers in a small boat laden with explosives while in port in Aden, Yemen, for refueling. The attack also wounded 39 sailors.
The bombing was attributed to al Qaeda and foreshadowed the attack on the US less than one year later on September 11, 2001.
“Al-Badawi was indicted by a federal grand jury in 2003, charged with 50 counts of various terrorism offenses, including murder of US nationals and murder of US military personnel,” Urban said.
Al-Badawi was arrested by Yemeni authorities in December of 2000 and held in connection with the Cole attack but he escaped from a prison in Yemen in April of 2003.
He was recaptured by Yemeni authorities in March of 2004 but again escaped Yemeni custody in February 2006 after he and several other inmates used broomsticks and pieces of a broken fan to dig an escape tunnel that led from the prison to a nearby mosque.
The State Department’s Rewards for Justice Program had previously offered a reward of up to $5 million for information leading to his arrest.
Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri, an al Qaeda militant also seen as a key figure in the bombing, has been in US custody since 2002 and has been held at the detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba since 2006.